Thursday, December 10, 2009

"Fettuccine Alfonso" Night

So, last night, I searched for today's dinner online. I was starting to panic because it's only our second full day of being observant vegans and I was already having trouble finding something that sounded both accessible and appetizing. You have to understand that I am an avid cook. I am at home in my kitchen. My entire adult life, people have admired and envied my ease and--quite frankly--my skill in creating yummy food. It is seriously unsettling to find myself adrift in the kitchen. I no longer know what "goes" with what. I don't have an instinct for eyeballing amounts in vegan cooking. I don't know, after I mix the recipe ingredients, how the dish is going to turn out. I'm disoriented and dazed in my own kitchen. It's completely uncool.

But it's okay. I knew this would be uncomfortable for a while. I figure after 30 days or so, I'll be getting the hang of things. I just need to remember to breathe.

Anyway, about the time I thought I would cry or throw things if the next recipe I saw didn't sound both doable and yummy, I came upon it. The site is called Vegan Food, and the collection of recipes they have is pretty impressive. This one jumped off the page at me...so we're gonna give it a go. Unlike Thursday's recipes, I will make no alterations. Since I am in wholly unfamiliar territory with this stuff...I'm gonna follow the instructions to the letter. Cross your fingers! We'll be serving this with those mini-kaisers I meant to use yesterday and a lovely garden salad made up of whatever looks good in the local produce section.

Fettuccine Alfonso

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed

1 1/2 cups soy/rice milk

2 T tahini

1 T onion granules

1 t salt

1 x 15 oz / 425 g can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained well

1 lb / 450 g fettuccine

Cracked black pepper


METHOD

Place the corn, milk, tahini and seasonings in a blender and process until smooth (it may take several minutes of processing to completely pulverize the corn). Pour the blended mixture in a medium saucepan and stir in the beans. Warm over medium low until the beans are heated through, stirring often.

While the sauce is heating, cook the fettuccine in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. Drain well and return to the pot. Add the warmed sauce and toss until evenly coated. Serve immediately topping each portion with a generous amount of cracked pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment