Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Food for Tomorrow

In the interest of staying ahead of myself, I will be planning every meal for the family ahead of time, and eating out will be pretty much off-limits. Fortunately for us, we live in Okinawa where there are several good sushi places that offer vegetarian rolls that are to-die and a Thai place that serves a tom ka gai and meatless pad thai that would blow you away.

That's all well and good, but for now, I have to plan out what we're all going to eat. Ashley and I decided that being wasteful is in no one's better interests, so I'm not going to rape the pantry and throw away food. We'll be using up our non-vegetarian food stores in an orderly fashion while I incorporate vegan foods whenever possible. We are also going to approach this from a very relaxed angle. There will be no purity policing in this house just yet.

After rooting around in the pantry tonight, I found a bag of dried lentils. I adore lentil soup, so I'll be making that for supper tomorrow night with some dark mini-kaiser rolls I found in the back of the freezer. Elizabeth is easy to please for lunch, but I've given Ashley carte blanche to spend these first weeks eating "normally" for lunch. Once I know better how to feed him, I will be packing a vegan lunch for him every day like I do with Lizzie. For now, though, I figure I'll keep it low-pressure for my darling and supportive man.

Breakfast is my big struggle. I love eggs. I love bacon. My adoration for butter would be hard to overstate. Fortunately for me, I also really like rice milk. So...for now, it'll be oatmeal made with rice milk for Elizabeth and me in the mornings. Ashley can have a bagel with Earth Balance spread in the car on the way to work. That will keep him pretty happy for the time being. I'll move him into vegan breakfast breads in due time.

That's the plan for Thursday.

Christmas dinner, however, is looming large on the horizon. I won't lie. I have no idea how I'm going to handle it, yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment