Saturday, September 25, 2010

Palabok and Lunch With What Ya Got

We're gearing up from the big move from Japan to The Netherlands, and part of that is using up food from the pantry.  Well, I went on a "noodles I've never heard of" expedition long ago, and so I have this huge basket of noodles in my pantry closet that I don't know what to do with.

In my fridge, I had a ziploc full of fresh collard greens, already chopped in ribbons that we had leftover from the Lemony Collards recipe, and I needed to use them up before they spoiled.  I also had a gorgeous package of mushrooms from the local San-A, which is a Japanese grocery store.  I decided to make Palabok and collards with mushrooms for lunch. 

So did we like it?  The verdict is still out.  I'm not really sure.  I love collards, and the mushrooms were lovely.  The texture of the palabok is like glass noodles, but thicker.  It felt...odd...in my mouth.  Different sort of texture and relatively flavorless noodle.  It's not my favorite, but your personal preferences might be different.  Overall, it was a satisfying light lunch, and the flavor was killer.

Enjoy the photos!

Palabok and Collards and Mushrooms, Oh My!
1/2 package Palabok, prepared to package directions*
Fresh Collard Greens, chiffonade
Mushrooms, any type, sliced
2T Vegan Butter
1/2T Olive Oil
Garlic, Salt, and Pepper to taste

*See Palabok directions below the recipe

In a large, flat-bottomed pan, heat the oil and butter.  Add your mushrooms and garlic.  Sauté until the mushroom aromas really hit you.  Add the collards and sauté just until the wilt begins.  Toss in the palabok and give everything a few minutes to get heated through and well-mixed.  Salt and pepper.  Plate and serve!  I ate mine with Sriracha hot sauce.  

  

*Palabok comes in a package like the one pictured below.  These are made of "Natural Yellow Cornstarch, Water, and Sodium Polyphosphate."  Following the package instructions, you take out the desired amount and soak it in hot water from the tap for about 10 minutes.

  

After soaking, remove the noodles directly into boiling water.  Boil for 8-10 minutes until soft.  Remove from heat, but leave the noodles in the hot water for another 10 minutes.  During this time, using tongs, "stir to loosen" the noodles.  Drain and then transfer to a serving dish or, in this case, the pan full of your other ingredients.

  



No comments:

Post a Comment