Thursday, January 14, 2010

Bok Choy and Mung Beans

This week's vegetables of the week are going to be Bok Choy and Mung Beans. The mung beans I found at the commissary come from Vietnam, and they look like tiny little black-eye peas except that they are a brilliant verdant green--almost a pine color. I can't wait to try them. Now, with these adorable full-size bok choy (I bought them because I think they MUST have been harvested within 24 hours prior to my purchasing them...totally white bases where they were cut and the leaves are just so alive and bright and firm), I have to confess that we've never tried bok choy before. They're not really all that exotic or rare. You can get them in any produce section in any grocery store I've ever seen. All the same, we've never eaten it before.

I am open to any and all recipe suggestions. I'm leaning toward a recipe I found for Thai-garlic pan/stir-fry with the bok choy and a fried rice type of "beans and rice" dish for the mung beans. That said, I'm really looking for a definitive way to eat either of these new foods, and I figured I'd ask for suggestions before diving in.

No comments:

Post a Comment