Thursday, February 4, 2010

So...yeah. The Smoking Thing

Yeah, so I'm a smoker. I've been smoking off and on (mostly on) since I was 18, and I'm 35 now. You do the math...I don't care to, thanks. My darling friend of a decade-plus, also named Amy, taught me to crochet in the hopes that I could substitute yarn-craft instead of overeating for smoking when I try to quit.

I'm circling this idea. I'm vegan now, and it feels so good and so happifying (it is too a word). The reason it feels so good is that we are eating and living in direct alignment with our value system and priorities. I mean, I'm finally treating my body like a temple in the food category, but I still smoke. It makes no sense, and I know this...but I like cigarettes. I always have.

So I would sure like it if those of you who visit this blog would give me something useful to work with on this. I really don't have any use for "You know...it takes ten years off your life," or, "Your lungs look like chocolate pudding and smell like an ashtray." Yeah, I read that memo and watched that movie several times. It doesn't help. I don't need shaming or scaring (neither does any other smoker over the age of 20 and your efforts in that direction are a waste of breath, time, and good energy). I need encouragement and tools for self-motivating. If some of you have quit smoking successfully yourselves or are close to someone who has, I'd like to hear your advice, stories, and struggles. I would really, REALLY appreciate it, actually.


8 comments:

  1. So, yeah....chocolate pudding. That's pretty gross, Amy. I think if you just get yourself knocked up again, you'll totally quit. I'm just sayin'.....it worked for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know...that's not a half bad idea, there. :) Pregnancy put me out of favor with cigarettes from day one. Oh, my goodness...the SMELL was so horrible that I couldn't walk into buildings, sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got nuttin'....

    If you figure something out though, please share. I'm thinking about being ready to kick this habit myself. Just in the thinking stage.

    I can't get knocked up... May work for you though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been a smoker, but my boyfriend is quitting with the help of those electronic cigarettes you've probably seen advertised here and there. He's cut back dramatically, and uses the lowest level of nicotine liquid. (It's also available with no nicotine.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have decided that since I'm losing weight slowly since making the switch to vegan, I can't use the "but it will make me even fatter" excuse anymore. So. I'm going to get back on Wellbutrin and see what happens. I was voluntarily down to less than 5 per day (and usually only one or two) while on that drug a few years ago. That coupled with crochet and something like the electric cigarette (thank you...my husband has a co-worker also using that with some success), I should be able to get started. Now, I just have to pick a date and grow a pair and do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does cost a bit to start up (about $75 for the equipment and a couple bottles of the juice), and we've had to order replacement parts several times, but it still comes out to much, much less than cigarettes. My boyfriend has cut back from nearly a pack/day to about 1 cigarette/day with the help of the e-cig! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Given that you are "going vegan for God," I'd say you can give up smoking for that same reason. You said it yourself--treating your body as a temple. You could go further and say that you won't voluntarily reduce your lifespan, leaving that in God's hands. Recognize your body as one of the greatest gifts you could have received, combine that with heartfelt prayers, and use every friend and tool available. If you have been able to put junk food on the altar, I have every confidence you can add cigarettes. Make it part of your spiritual path, and celebrate every step forward!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just seeing this today, Kevin, and you're absolutely right. I need to make this a spiritual commitment rather than looking at it in a physical way.

    ReplyDelete